2nd Hospital of Jilin University
Norman Bethune College of Medicine, Changchun, China
The Department of Ultrasound is a highly specialized department established in the 1960s, which strives to meet all needs in diagnostic ultrasound and ultrasound-guide therapies. Currently, our Department has 35 full-time physician majored in ultrasound, including 4 professors, 3 associate professors, 4 assistant professors, and 20 highly skilled sonographers. Among the 35 Staff members, there are 4 chief physicians, 4 associate chief physicians, 4 attending physicians, 10 resident physicians and 2 physician assistants. All physicians have Master’s degree, and 5 got doctorate degree. The facilities and services of the Division comprise of 18 examination rooms and more than 20 major pieces of ultrasound equipment. Our dedicated staff doctors provides exceptional care in a friendly and comfortable environment that is tailored to the patients.
Our staff performs and interprets more than 180.000 examinations annually, covering many aspects of ultrasound including abdominal and superficial scanning, neonatal, brain and peripheral vascular, musculoskeletal evaluations, intraoperative and aspiration-biopsy techniques, and transesophageal echocardiography. Staff members are available 24 hours a day for emergency cases. Total receipts reach 20 millions annually.
In addition to the tremendous clinical activities, our doctors undertake a comprehensive ultrasound educational program for intensive training for fellows, residents, undergraduates and graduates from China and other countries. We have a qualified team for a competitive Master’s degree programs, including 5 master tutors in medical ultrasound. More than 30 postgraduates have accomplished their master’s projects so far. Ultrasound courses perform in each semester for the graduates and the adult education of clinical medicine, medical imaging, oral medicine, preventive medicine and maternal and child health medicine nationally and internationally.
· Advanced Technology: We use the latest imaging equipment to perform the necessary diagnosis. We have a complete assortment of ultrasound transducers or probes, uniquely suited to image the great variety of patient sizes and shapes that we image on a daily basis. Color and waveform Doppler techniques are also performed regularly, on patients of all ages. We have been investigating the application of wave intensity (WI), contrast-enhanced ultrasound (CEUS), 3D/4D echocardiography (3/4DE), 2D strain (speckle tracking) and tissue Doppler imaging (TDI), point to identify and thrash out clinic questions.
· General Ultrasound: The General ultrasound department is responsible for the majority of ultrasound examinations throughout the hospital. It is located in the outpatient and inpatient areas of the 2nd Hospital of Jilin University. General ultrasound includes abdominal, superficial scanning and echocardiography for accident and emergency work. General ultrasound applies for patients referred to the department by their outpatient clinics, and for patients are referred for these procedures only by a hospital consultant inpatient clinics. Different rooms are specialized for different examinations.
· Ultrasound Contrast Studies: We perform ultrasound contrast studies routinely in liver mass imaging, aiming to provide important information on the characterization and detection of local liver mass. We are pioneers in the use of ultrasound contrast.
· Neonatal Sonography: Out pediatric team also includes experts in fetal imaging. Our sonographers guide and interpret the sonograms performed in the neonatal intensive care unit for newborn care and premature infants, particularly for the differential diagnosis of a vascular lesion, possible subdural hematomas, and to separate normal vascular structures from clot.
· Transesophageal echocardiography: For nearly dedicates, our specialty expertise in transesophageal echocardiography (TEE) are proficient in performing the examination and assessing the clinical problem. Most cardiac systems can be imaged and targeted by transesophageal echocardiographic techinique, which are used preoperatively, intraoperatively and postoperatively by many departments-from children’s services to cardiology and cardiosurgery division. Major areas of diagnosis include congenital heart diseases, rheumatologic heart diseases and coronary heart diseases.
· Brain and Peripheral Vascular Ultrasound: We are experienced in application of gray-scale ultrasound (US), spectral Doppler, color flow imaging and transcranial Doppler (TCD) for the evaluation of cerebrovascular disease, extremity artery and veins, abdomen and pelvis vessels and renal transplantation.
· Interventional Ultrasonography: Intraoperative and aspiration-biopsy work is carried out routinely, as thyroid, breast and soft tissue biopsy, pericardiocentesis, throacentesis, abdominal or chest catheter insertion, or lung, liver, kidney, bone, abdominal mass or abscess drainage. Successfully use of ultrasound-guided therapy for the treatment of live cyst, renal cyst and ovarian cyst. We are pioneers in the ultrasound-guided percutaneous management of the dilation biliary ducts and the hydronephrosis.
· Ultrasound Research and Education: We have authored over 100 publications, have been assistant editor of the medicine books, and major lecture nationally. The Center of Gastrointestinal Ultrasound provides training for fellows from Jilin province. Major areas of research include echocardiography and musculoskeletal, as well as sonography of the liver and small parts. With support from the international division of Science and Technology Department of Jilin Province, one project has been performed in myocardial function of oncology patients. Some research papers on musculoskeletal were presented on the international conferences and published in the peer-reviewed journal recorded by the SCI database or the meeting documents.
· Prospective Work: We maintain a continual interest in quality, research-driven and patient-centered care.