Cardiovascular Surgery Department
The Cardiovascular Surgery Department of the Second Hospital of Jilin University, which was established in January 2005, is a professional discipline integrated of medical practice, education and research. We have been kept on developing during the last decade under the leadership of professor Liu (Liu Kexiang, MD, PhD). Being the most advanced department of cardiovascular surgery in Jilin Province, We are entitled Aortic Disease Medical Center of Jilin Province, International Technology Cooperation Base of Jilin Province, Cardiovascular Disease Medical Center of Jilin University, Key Medical Specialist of Changchun City. We are also the Standing Committee Member of Cardiovascular Surgery Branch of Chinese Medical Doctor Association, Committee Member of Cardio-thoracic Surgery of Chinese Medical Association, Chief Committee Member of Cardiovascular Surgery Branch of Jilin Provincial Medical Association, Chief Committee Member of Cardiovascular Surgery Branch of Jilin Provincial Medical Doctor Association.
Our department is consisted of 9 doctors, including 1 chief physician and professor, 2 associate chief physicians and professors, 2 associate chief physicians and associate professors, 1 attending doctor and 3 residents. There are 5 CPB perfusionists, including 1 chief technician. There are 43 nurses, including 3 associate chief nurses, 3 nurses-in-charge, 25 senior nurses and 12 nurses. There is 1 doctoral supervisor and 2 master’s supervisors. Among the staff, 6 people have gained doctoral degrees and 5 people have gained master degrees. One doctor has been nominated Professional and Technical Talent with Outstanding Contributions of Jilin Province Health System. One doctor has been nominated Excellent Innovation Talent of Jilin Province. One doctor has been nominated Economic and Technological Innovation Talent. Two staff have gained May 1st Labor Medal of Changchun City.
Under the leadership of Professor Kexiang Liu, the chief of the department, all kinds of operations have been performed successfully in our department, including in situ heart transplantation, coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG), great vessel replacement, valvoplasty and valve replacement, correction of various complex congenital heart diseases, minimally invasive cardiac surgery, modified surgical fibrillation ablation. Cases have covered all categories of cardiovascular surgery diseases. More than 700 operations have been completed annually in our department. The main specialties are listed below:
1. Having Completed the first successful heart transplantation independently in Jilin Province.
2. Aortic Disease: We are the first to carry out surgical treatment of aortic diseases in the Northeast of China, and have became a team highly practiced and skilled in diagnosis and treatment of aortic diseases. Our team is one of the few institutions which can independently perform aortic operations. Our surgical success rate is advanced in domestic region. The Aortic Disease Medical Center of Jilin Province based on our department was established in 2012, in response to the need for instant emergency access and more superior treatment for critical ill patients. A green channel of emergency network for cardiovascular patients has been built since then. Being the first aortic disease center in the Northeast and also one of the few centers of aortic diseases in China, more than 200 surgeries of aortic disease were performed per year. Since 2009 lots of effort have been put to the modifications of treatment of Stanford A aortic dissection under the leadership of Professor Kexiang Liu, thus creating a novel technique. This novel surgical modified technique reduces the blood loss, improves the success rate of the surgery, and simplifies the complexities of the traditional surgery patterns. The successful rate of the modified procedure is up to more than 95%, which holds a leading position in the international society. The innovation of ‘Modified Stented-Graft’ and ’Stented-graft with Artificial Vascular Prothesis’ both obtained national patent. New progress has been made since 2016 remarkably in the field that more than 50.8% of the aortic dissection surgeries have been performed without blood transfusion, which is of highly leading level in the domestic position. The ‘No Blood Transfusion’ technique is undoubtedly pioneering in the aortic surgeries and has received a strong response from domestic and international peer.
3. Coronary Artery Disease (CAD): Being the first to carry out independent coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgeries in Jilin Province, of which more than 95% were off-pump and successful rate reaches more than 99%, which is an advanced level in the international society. Other surgeries about CAD held here include the total arterial CABG, sequential anastomosis in CABG; excision of ventricular aneurysm post-myocardial infarction, ventricular septal rupture repair, valve replacement or valvoplasty, surgical ablation of atrial fibrillation during CABG, minimally invasive CABG via left thoracotomy and etc. Autologous blood recovery technology has been performed and the rate of no blood transfusion has reached 93%.
4. Heart Valvular Disease (HVD) and Atrial Fibrillation (AF): Surgery on HVD of various pathogenesis, including rheumatic valvular heart disease. Surgeries held here including mitral valve replacement (MVR) or valvoplasty, aortic valve replacement (AVR), tricuspid valve replacement (TVR) or valvoplasty, combined aortic and mitral valve replacement, valvular replacement and concomitant with CABG, valvular replacement combined with ablation of atrial fibrillation, reoperation of valvular replacement and left atrium thrombectomy and etc. Meanwhile, we have been using the autologous blood recovery technology, 73% of patients are with no blood transfusion. We have pioneered in valve replacement combined with bipolar radiofrequency modified Maze for ablation of atrial fibrillation, which only one year later than the United States, the first in carrying out such operations all over the world. Up to now, more than 600 cases of this advanced method have been completed, of which cardioversion rate is up to 80%，ranking the leading domestic level.
5. Congenital Heart Disease (CHD): Various CHDs we have successful operated yet overwhelmingly, such as atrial septal defect, ventricular septal defect, patent ductus arteriosus, pulmonary stenosis, single atrium, subaortic stenosis, double chambered right ventricle, double outlet right ventricle, partial atrioventricular septal defect, tetralogy of Fallot, pulmonary atresia, congenital anomalous pulmonary venous connection, Ebstein malformation, a variety of congenital heart diseases with severe pulmonary hypertension. We also carried out surgical treatment of neonatal congenital heart disease, among whom, the youngest patients are only 3 month’s old, with only 3 kg and the surgical success rate has reached the domestic advanced level. Since January 2007, our department have been cooperating with Jilin Charity Federation, the ‘Love and Bless’ Charity Foundation and have been offering charitable assistance to children with CHD in poor urban and rural families. Till now, more than 1,000 CHD children have been cured successfully with medical expenses reduction or exemption, which is a great contribution to the charitable career of Jilin province and has built up well-recognized reputation among Jilin province.
6. Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery: Thoracoscope assisted minimally invasive cardiac surgery was first introduced in the northeast of China by our department, which has been generally used in surgeries such as CABG, valve replacement or valvoplasty, cardiac tumor excision and etc. The minimally invasive atrial and ventricular septal defect closure has been applied since 2010. Ultrasound guided atrial septal defect closure, through right internal jugular vein, has been applied since 2016. This technology can cure the atrial septal defect without incision and radiation, not only to fill the gaps in this field in Northeast China, but also lead us to the leading level Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery field in China.
Innovation and improvement are the pursuit of our department, simplifying the complex problems and constantly striving for perfection is the goal of our department. In the future, our team will continue to update the concept of minimal invasive, further reduce the trauma of cardiac surgery, make more innovative breakthroughs, improve the cure rate, trying our best to provide better service to patients.
In the academic field, our department is supported by many fundings and projects, including one project of National Natural Science Foundation, three projects of the ‘Twelve • Five’ Technology Support Program, three projects of international cooperation, nine projects of Jilin Province Development Programs, and six projects of other foundations. Our publications including a professional monograph and over 200 papers (over 40 papers were collected by SCI ). We are awarded two National Patents, two Natural Science Academic Achievement Awards of Jilin Province, sixteen medical achievement awards of Jilin University. In addition, our team also undertake the theoretical and practical teaching for both undergraduate and master degree students. By now, we have trained 22 PhDs and 22 master degree students.