Postal Code: 130041
Address: Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, NO.218 Ziqiang Street, Nanguan District, Changchun, Jilin Province, China.
Title: Chief Physician, Professor, Doctoral Supervisor and Master Supervisor, Head of Cardiovascular Surgery Department, Head of Medical Center of Aortic Diseases of Jilin Province, Top Ten Bethune Doctor of Jilin University.
Excellent in all kinds of aortic diseases such as acute aortic dissection, coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) in treating coronary artery disease and acute myocardial infarction, modified Maze procedure in ablation of atrial fibrillation, valve replacement and valvuloplasty, minimally invasive cardiac surgery, cardiac trauma, correction of various complex congenital heart diseases and surgical treatment of other common congenital and acquired cardiac diseases.
Major Research Direction:
Etiology and treatment of aortic diseases
Treatment of end stage heart disease
Mechanism of myocardial infarction
Inhibition of vascular hyperplasia
Research on regenerative cardiovascular graft
Study of ischemia-reperfusion injury
Clinical Medical Practice:
He has filled in the blanks in the surgical treatment of coronary artery diseases, aortic diseases, surgical atrial fibrillation ablation, valvular heart diseases, congenital heart diseases and heart transplantation in Jilin Province and even domestically. He took the lead in carrying out surgical treatment of aortic diseases in the Northeast of China in 2005, especially in the surgical treatment of acute aortic dissection. Since 2009, professor Kexiang Liu has been devoting lots of efforts to the modifications of treatment of Stanford A aortic dissection, thus creating a novel technique. This novel modified surgical method not only reduces the blood loss, shortens operative time, but also improves the success rate of the surgery, simplifies the complexities of the traditional surgery patterns. The innovations of “Modified Stented-Graft” and “Stented-graft with Artificial Vascular Prothesis ” both obtained national patent. New Progress has been made remarkably since 2016 in the field that more than 50.8% of the aortic dissection surgeries have been performed without blood transfusions. Being the first to carry out independent coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgeries in Jilin Province, more than 95% are off-pump and the successful rate reaches more than 99% and the rate of no blood transfusion has reached 93%. Professor Kexiang Liu took the lead in performing hybrid operations containing multiple valve replacement, CABG and surgical ablation of atrial fibrillation. He has been promoting the use of autologous blood recovery technology and almost 73% of the operations are without blood transfusions. Be the first to treat AF with a bipolar radiofrequency modified maze IV (Maze) surgery since May 2005. Professor Kexiang Liu first introduced thoracoscope assisted minimally invasive cardiac surgery in the northeast of China, which has been generally used in surgeries such as CABG, atrial and ventricular septal defect repair, mitral valve replacement or valvuplasty, aortic valve replacement, cardiac tumor excision, tricuspid annuloplasty and etc. The minimally invasive atrial and ventricular septal defect closure technique has been applied since 2010. He first developed ultrasonic-guided transcatheter atrial septal defect closure. This technique frees patients from radioactive radiation and surgical incision. He is also good at corrections of various complex congenital heart diseases and excellent in surgical treatments of neonatal congenital heart diseases. He had completed the first successful heart transplantation independently in Jilin Province in February 2006.
Research and Teaching Contributions:
In charge of one project of National Natural Science Foundation, one sub-project of third-stage of National 211 Construction Project, three projects of the ‘Twelve • Five’ Technology Support Program, three projects of Jilin Province International Technology Development, eleven provincial and municipal projects and other 5 projects. Research funding has reached 2 million yuan totally. Having obtained two national patents and 2 national new practical patents. Two Natural Science Academic Achievement Awards of Jilin Province. Nine second prizes of Medical Achievement of Jilin University. Seven third prizes of Medical Achievement of Jilin University. One publication of monograph. More than 100 publications including over 30 SCI collections. Undertake theory teaching and practice teaching of undergraduates and masters. Having cultivated 22 doctoral students and 22 master degree students.
1. The Outstanding Returned Overseas Talents of Independent Innovation in Jilin Province.
2. Award for Economic and Technological Innovation Talent of Jilin Province.
3. The Young Outstanding Professional and Technical Contributor of Medical System of Jilin Province.
4. Top Innovative Talent of Jilin Province.
5. The People of Integrity of Jilin Health Department.
6. The Outstanding Member of the Communist Party of Jilin University.
7. Outstanding Returned Chinese Scholars.
8. The ‘May 1st’ Labor Medals of Changchun.
9. Medical Ethics Pacesetter of Changchun.
10. Academic Leaders of the Key Medical Discipline of ‘Twelfth Five Year Plan’, Changchun.
11. Outstanding Contributions of Individual of Health System of Changchun.
12. The Bethune Medical Workers, Changchun.
13. Top Ten Bethune Doctor of Jilin University.
1. Committee Member of Branch of Cardiovascular Surgery of Chinese Medical Doctor Association
2. Committee Member of Vascular Surgery Professional Committee of National Cardiovascular Disease Expert Committee
3. Committee Member and Vice Executive Secretary of Cardiovascular Surgical Techniques and Engineering Branch of China Medicinal Biotechnology Association
4. Committee Member of Thoracic-Cardiovascular Branch of Chinese Medical Association
5. Chairman Committee Member of Thoracic-Cardiovascular Branch of Jilin Provincial Medical Association
6. Chairman Committee Member of Branch of Cardiovascular Surgery of Jilin Provincial Medical Doctor Association
7. Vice Chairman Committee Member of Vascular Surgery Branch of Jilin Provincial Medical Association
8. Vice Chairman Committee Member of Cardiovascular Disease Rehabilitation Association of Jilin Province
9. Vice Chairman Committee Member of Organ Transplantation Branch of Jilin Provincial Medical Association
10. Council Member of 8th Jilin Provincial Medical Association Council Board
11. Council Member of 12th Changchun Medical Association Council Board
12. Editorial Board Member of 《Innovations》
13. Academic Committee Member of 《The Chinese Journal of Clinical Physicians(Electronic Edition)》of Chinese Medical Association
14. Editorial Board Member of 《Chinese Journal of Cardiovascular Review》
15. Editorial Board Member of 《Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery(Electronic Edition)》of People’s Military Medical Press
16. Editorial Board Member of 《Jilin University Journal (Medicine Edition)》
Potential Cooperation of Research:
Etiology and treatment of aortic diseases, treatment of end stage heart disease, mechanism of myocardial infarction, inhibition of vascular hyperplasia, research on regenerative cardiovascular graft, study of ischemia-reperfusion injury.
1. Zhicheng Zhu, Xiaomei Zheng, Dan Li, Tiance Wang, Rihao Xu, Hulin Piao, Kexiang Liu*; Prx1 promotes the proliferation and migration of vascular smooth muscle cells in a TLR4-dependent manner; Molecular Medicine Reports; 2016.12.6.IF:1.559.
2. Cuilin Zhu, Tiance Wang, Zhicheng Zhu, and Kexiang Liu*; Aberrant origin of left subclavian artery from the pulmonary artery and right aortic arch in an aortopulmonary window; Interactive Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery; 2016.8.1.IF:1.155.
3. Zhicheng Zhu, Rihao Xu, Xiaomei Zheng, Tiance Wang, Dan Li, Yong Wang, and Liu Kexiang*; Inhibitory Effect of TLR4 Gene Silencing on Intimal Hyperplasia of Vein Grafting, Vascular and Endovascular Surgery; 2016.09.28.IF:0.662.
4. Haibin Zhang, Weitie Wang, Dan Li, Zhicheng Zhu, Tiance Wang, Rihao Xu and Kexiang Liu*; Undifferentiated sarcoma originating from the mitral valve:a case report; Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery; 2016.05.04,11:82.IF:1.036.
5. Duo Zhao, Zhicheng Zhu, Dan Li, Rihao Xu, Tiance Wang, and Kexiang Liu*; Pioglitazone Suppresses CXCR7 Expression To Inhibit Human Macrophage Chemotaxis through Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor γ; Biochemistry; 2015.11, 54(45):6806–6814.IF:3.015.
6. Zhicheng Zhu, Yong Wang, Rihao Xu, Dan Li, Tiance Wang, Bo Li, Shudong Zhang and Kexiang Liu*; Giant aneurysm of the left main coronary artery with fistulous communication to the right atrium; Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery; 2015.09.11,10:117.IF:1.03.
7. Dan Li, Zhicheng Zhu, Xiaomei Zheng, Yong Wang, Yuefeng Wang,Rihao Xu, Tiance Wang and Kexiang Liu*; Surgical treatment of anomalous left coronary artery from pulmonary artery in an adult; Coronary Artery Disease; 2015.12,26:723-725.IF:1.302.
8. Dan Li, Xiao-Wei Zhang, Xing-Quan Jiang, Yong-Jie Yin, Zhe Fan, Cheng-Bo Sun, Xing-Hai Chen, Yan-Hui Li and Ke-Xiang Liu*; Protective effects of thalidomide on pulmonary injuries in a rat model of paraquat intoxication; Journal of Inflammation; 2015.07.28,12:46.IF:2.02.
9. Dan Li, Weitie Wang, Zhicheng Zhu, Yuefeng Wang, Rihao Xu and Kexiang Liu*; Cardiac lipoma in the interventricular septum:a case report; Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery; 2015.05.09,10:69.IF:1.03.
10. Hulin Piao, Ken Takahashi*, Yohei Yamaguchi, Chen Wang, Kexiang Liu*, Keiji Naruse; Transient Receptor Potential Melastatin-4 Is Involved in Hypoxia-Reoxygenation Injury in the Cardiomyocytes; PLOS ONE;2015.04.02;
11. Min Lv, Kexiang Liu, Shaopeng Fu, Zhe Li, Xia Yu; Pterostilbene attenuates the inflammatory reaction induced by ischemia/reperfusion in rat heart; Molecular Medicine Reports; 2015.01;11(1):724-728.IF:1.484.
12. W. YAN, L.R. GUO, Q. ZHANG, W.-Z. SUN, S.T. O’ROURKE, K.-X. LIU*, C.-W. SUN*; Chronic blockade of class I PI3-kinase attenuates Ang II-induced cardiac hypertrophy and autophagic alteration; European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Sciences; 2015;19:772-783.IF:0.988.
13. Shuang Hao, Rihao Xu, Dan Li, Zhicheng Zhu, Tiance Wang, Kexiang Liu*; Attenuation of Streptozotocin-Induced Lipid Profile Anomalies in the Heart, Brain, and mRNA Expression of HMG-CoA Reductase by Diosgenin in Rats; Cell Biochemistry and Biophysics; 2015.01.29,72:3:741-749.IF:2.38.
14. Guilin Yang, Nan Zhang, Tiance Wang, Shudong Zhang, Rihao Xu,Zhicheng Zhu and Kexiang Liu*; Liquid chromatography–tandem mass spectrometric assay for the determination of vaccarin in rat plasma: application to a pharmacokinetic study; Biomedical Chromatography; 2014.12;28(12):1789-94.IF:1.662.
15. Bo Li, MD; Qing Liu, BSc; Chengluan Xuan, MD; Lirong Guo, PhD; Ruofan Shi, BSc;Qi Zhang, PhD; Stephen T. O’Rourke, PhD; Kexiang Liu*, MD; Chengwen Sun*, PhD; GABAB Receptor Gene Transfer Into the Nucleus Tractus Solitarii Induces Chronic Blood Pressure Elevation in Normotensive Rats; Circulation Journal; 2013.10,77:10:2558-2566.IF:3.766.
16. ChengLuan Xuan, F-R Yao, L-R Guo, Q Liu, S.K.C Chang*, KeXiang Liu*, ChengWeng Sun*; Comparison of extracts from cooked and raw lentil in antagonizing angiotensin Ⅱ-induced hypertension and cardiac
hypertrophy; European Review for Medical and Pharmacological Sciences; 2013.10,17:19:2644-2653.IF:1.04.
17. Rihao Xu#, Tiance Wang#, Dan Li, Zhicheng Zhu, Shudong Zhang, Chengluan Xuan, Wen Yan and Kexiang Liu*; Surgical approach for the treatment of aortoesophageal fistula combined with dual aortic aneurysms:a case report; Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery; 2013.11.04,8:206.IF:1.187.
18. Jianbin Sun, Jinhua Zheng, Kaitelynne H ling, Keyan Zhao, Zhongshang Xie, Bo Li, Tiance Wang, Zhicheng Zhu, Amit N Patel, Weiping Min, Kexiang Liu* and Xiufen Zheng*; Preventing intimal thickening of vein grafts in vein artery bypass using STAT-3 siRNA; Journal of Translational Medicine; 2012.01.04,10:2.IF:3.508.
19. Ming Zhou, Hui-jing He, Ryoji Suzuki, Ke-Xiang Liu, Osamu Tanaka, Masaki Sekiguchi, Hideaki Itoh, Katasumasa Kawahara, and Hiroshi Abe; Localization of Sulfonylurea Receptor Subunits, SUR2A and SUR2B, in rat Heart; Journal of Histochemistry&Cytochemistry; 2007:55:795-804.IF:2.513.
20. zhi-Cheng Zhu, Mei Sun, Xing-yi Zhang, Ke-Xiang Liu* et al; Expression and Characterization of Catalytic Domain of T Cell Protein Tyrosine Phosphatase(TC-PTP)-Immunohistochemical Study of TC-PTP Expression in Non-small Cell Lung Carcinomas; Chem Res Chinese; 2007：23(3):289-296.IF:0.363.
21. KX. Liu, F. Yamamot H. Yamamoto, Tiance Wang, Zhicheng Zhu, Rihao Xu, Shudong Zhang; The Effects of Na Movement on Surgical Myocardiai Protection:The Role of the Na-H Exchange System and Na-Channel in the Development of Ischemia and Reperfusion Injury ; Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg; 2007,13:301-307.
22. KX. Liu “ Long-term Outcomes of Open Surgical Repair for Ruptured Iliac Artery Aneurysms”; Clinical research.2010; 5(11):542.
23. KX. Liu, F. Yamamoto, S. Sekine, Y. Goto, K. Kondon, M. Matsukaw, S. Kagaya; Inhibitory Effect of Photooxidation on Intimal Thickening of Vein; Coronary Artery Disease (Prevention to Intervention); 2000,233-239.
24. KX. Liu, F. Yamamoto, S. Sekine, Y. Goto, S. Seki, I. Yamagishi, K. Kondon, M. Matsukawa; Inhibitory Effect of Methylene Blue-Induced Photooxidation on Intimal Thickening of Vein Graft in Vivo; Ann Thorac Surg; 1999,66:84-88.
25. KX. Liu, F. Yamamoto, S. Sekine, Y. Goto, S. Seki, I. Yamagishi, K. Kondon, M; Matsukawa. An Effective Method for Improving Hemostasis in Aortic Root Replacement with Composite Graft; Heart and Vessels; 1999,13:237-240.
26. KX. Liu, F. Yamamoto, S. Sekine, Y. Goto, S. Seki, I. Yamagishi, K. Kondon, M. Matsukawa; Distal Aortic Replacement Using Hypothermic Retrograde Cerebral perfusion Through A Left Thoracotomy; Akita J Med; 1999,6:18-21.
27. KX. Liu, S. Sekine, Y. Goto, K. Iijima, K. Kondon, M. Matsukawa, T. Abe. Halofuginone Inhibits Neointimal Formation of Cultured Rat Aorta in A Concentration-Dependent Fashion in Vitro. Heart and Vessels. 1998;13:18-23.
28. KX. Liu, T. Abe, S. Sekine, Y. Goto, K. Iijima, K. Kondon, M. Matsukawa, JZ. Tian, W. Wu, B. Zhang, L. Chen, H. Zhang, HX, Zhao, X. Song; Experimental Study on the Scavenging Effects of Ginsenosides on Oxygen Free Radicals Using Model of Heteropic Heart Transplantation in Rats; Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg; 1998,4:188-191.
29. J. Chanda, R. Kuribayashi, KX. Liu, Y. Shibada; Inhibitory Effect of Photooxidation on Intimal and Medial Thicking of Saphenous Vein; Ann Thorac Surg; 1998,66:449-454.
1. Artificial blood vessels with stent-graft, NO.ZL 2014 2 0462262.5.
2. Modified stent-graft artificial blood vessels, NO.ZL 2014 2 0462261.0.
Scientific Research Projects:
1. The Mechanism of Toll-like Receptors in the Proliferation of Transplanted Vein Endothelial, National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC).
2. The Development of Traditional Pathology. Frontier Pathology and Regenerative Medicine, the 3rd stage Construction Projects of the National 211 Project.
3. Detection, Prevention and Key Therapeutic Techniques of Cardiovascular Disease and its Risk Factors-Research on Key Therapeutic Techniques on Critical Ischemic Heart Disease, the National ‘Twelfth Five’ Science and Technology Support Plan, 2011-2015.
4. Detection, Prevention and Key Therapeutic Techniques of Cardiovascular Disease and its Risk Factors-Research on Key Therapeutic Techniques on Critical Ischemic Heart Disease, the National ‘Twelfth Five’ Science and Technology Support Plan, 2013-2015.
5. The Research of Improvement of Coronary Heart Disease-Coronary Artery Bypass Graft. National “Twelfth-Five” Science and Technology Support Plan.
6. The Mechanism of miRNA-711 in Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury. International Cooperation Projects of Science and Technology Development Projects of Jilin Province.
7. The Mechanism of Boiled Lentils Extraction on Angiotensin-II Induced Hypertrophy and Hypertension, International Cooperation Projects of Science and Technology Development Projects of Jilin Province.
8. Stem Cell Engineering Technology on the Regeneration of Cardiovascular Grafts. International Cooperation Projects of Science and Technology Development Projects of Jilin Province.
9. The Influences of GDF-15 in Heart Transplantation Immune Rejection. The Special Funded Health Project of Jilin Province.
10. The Etiology Investigation and Analysis of Aortic Dissection. The Special Funded Health Project of Jilin Province.
11. The Therapeutic Strategies on Aortic Dissection and Aneurysm. The Special Funded Health Project of Jilin Province.
12. The Application and Popularization of the Advanced Artificial Vascular Stents on the Treatment of Type A Aortic Dissection. The Special Projects on Industrial Technology Research and Development of Jilin Province.
13. The Development and Popularization of the Therapeutic Strategies of Type A Aortic Dissection. Science and Technology Development Projects of Jilin Province.
14. The Development of Osteopontin Quick Test Kit and New Diagnosis Method of Aortic Dissection and Aneurysm. The Science and Technology Development Projects of Jilin Province.
15. The Research of Calcium Channel of Atrial Cardiomyocyte on Atrial Fibrillation. Science and Technology Development Projects of Jilin Province.
16. The Research of Interference of miRNA in STAT3 Suppressing Vascular Graft Hyperplasia. Science and Technology Development Projects of Jilin Province.
17. The Mechanism of the Expression and Regulation of Growth Factor-5 on Myocardial Infraction. Science and Technology Development Projects of Jilin Province.
18. Tissue Engineering and Angiogenesis Technology on the Regeneration of Vein System Grafts. Science and Technology Development Projects of Jilin Province.
19. Modified Bipolar Radiofrequency Maze III for Ablation of Atrial Fibrillation. Science and Technology Development Projects of Changchun city.
20. Building Case Base for Cardiothoracic Surgery Graduate Students. The Program of Building Case Base for Cardiothoracic Surgery Graduates of Jilin University.
21. Silence STAT3’s Suppressing Function for Vascular Graft Hyperplasia by RNAi. Basic Research Projects of Jilin University.
22. The Effect and Safety of Levosimendan on the Left Ventricular Dysfunction after Cardiovascular Surgery. Affiliated Research Projects.
23. The Effect and Safety of Natriuretic Peptide on the Prevention of Acute Decompensated Heart Failure or Pulmonary Hypertension-Clinical Trails. Affiliated Research Projects.
24. The Effect of Natriuretic Peptide-Lyophilized Combined with Human Brain Natriuretic Peptide on Perioperative of Cardiovascular Surgery Patients. Affiliated Research Projects.
Medical achievement awards:
1. Third Prize of Natural Science Academic Achievement Award of Jilin Province for “the Mechanism of Boiled Lentils Extraction on Angiotensin-II Induced Hypertrophy and Hypertension”.
2. Excellent Prize of Natural Science Academic Achievement Award of Jilin Province for “the Research of Interference of miRNA in STAT3 Suppressing Vascular Graft Hyperplasia”.
3. Second Prize of Medical Achievement of Jilin University for “Stented Elephant Trunk in Direct Vision to Treat Aortic Dissection”.
4. Second Prize of Medical Achievement of Jilin University for “Measures to Improve Success Rates of Coronary Artery Bypass Graft”.
5. Second Prize of Medical Achievement of Jilin University for “Application of One-way Valve Pericardium Patch to Treat Atrial Septal Defect with Severe Pulmonary Hypertension”.
6. Second Prize of Medical Achievement of Jilin University for “Modified Bipolar Radiofrequency Maze III for Ablation of Atrial Fibrillation and Observations of Postoperative Use of Amiodarone” .
7. Third Prize of Medical Achievement of Jilin University for “Stented Elephant Trunk in Direct Vision to Treat Descending Aortic Aneurysm Combined with Esophageal Fistula”.
8.Third Prize of Medical Achievement of Jilin University for “Application of Minimally Invasive Techniques in Cardiovascular Surgery”.
9. Third Prize of Medical Achievement of Jilin University for “Application of Modified Bentall in Aortic Root Surgery”.